3/23/07

Vicodin ramblings

"Is it over?", I asked groggily, "Yep, your surgery went great", replied Judy the post-op nurse. Earlier this year I tore my right interior meniscus while snowboarding. Today I had that fixed along with another tear that the surgeon found while scoping my knee. The surgery was performed at the University of Washington Surgery Pavilion. The doctors, nurses, and staff all rocked.



During pre-op I think I met the most arrogant doctor that has every lived. He was my Anesthesiologist for my operation. Usually I am very turned off by the outward display of arrogance in people, especially doctors. But there was something comforting with this doctor's arrogance. This was my third surgery on my knees and for some reason I was hesitant to go under anesthesia this time around, but once he started talking to me I felt a lot more comfortable. His absolute confidence translated into the confidence I needed to go under. Funny story about him, as he was putting in the IV into my hand he asked if he was hurting me. "Nope.", I said. Once he finished inserting the needle and taping up the hand he whispered to himself, "I'm on today!"



Another reason I was hesitant to go under anesthesia, was that in my two previous surgeries I woke up feeling like I was hit by a Mac truck. This time I popped out of the haze within an hour, which was nice for a change.



All things considered, I feel great today. Most likely it is the narcotics that I'm consuming. It is a night and day difference from my last surgeries. The picture embedded within this post were taken during my surgery. I have no idea what they are, but I thought it might be cool to share the view from inside my knee.

No comments: