10/11/07

iPhone and Apple

Sorry I did not talk more about the iPhone in my earlier post. The
device is amazing. This is the mobile device I have been waiting for.
The technolgical leap that Apple has made with this phone is jaw
dropping. I've had the device for roughly three months and I still
occationally grin because it is so cool. So what is my problem? My
biggest issue is with Apple's ridiculous stance on third party
applications. They won't let them be installed. You can use web based
app's, but most of them suck and what if you are getting a slow edge
or wifi connection? What I find strange is that third party developers
have been integral to Apple's success. I also find Apple's excuse of
letting third party app's on the phone will endanger AT&T's network to
be bullshit. All the other so called smart phones on the market allow
third party app's to be installed.

Just so you know I'm not some Mac fanboy who wears Apple shaped
glasses. I love their products and have been using them since the
Apple II E, but I also recognize what complete idiots they can be:
their pricing, the arrogance that they are cooler and the meglomania
that is Steve Jobs. Yeah, I kept buying Apple products when they were
two to three times the price of a PC machines, but I like how Apple
designs their operating system to get out of your way. For the most
part, it does not hinder creativity. I can not say that about PC's.

Apple has made their name on well designed computers, well designed
software and one of the greatest marketing stategies ever. Will they
change? I doubt it. Will I keep using their products? Of course. I'm
just frustrated. I own this amazing product, essentially a computer
that fits in your pocket, yet, so far, Apple is keeping it from it's
full potential.

Disclosure: I work for a third party Mac developer.

No comments: